Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Challenge #5- Who Really Cares?

As I prepared to write today's post, I had two quotes floating around in my mind.  The first comes to us from that great philosopher, Dr. Seuss.
I love this quote.  

I hear people (especially moms) all the time who are concerned about what others will think of their behavior, their ideas or even the way that they are raising their children.  
One person I know and love often starts sentences with the words "It probably sounds stupid, but...".

Just why are we so concerned with the opinions of others?

Should we really be concerned with any of them?

The answer to that second question is yes.

I do care whether or not my husband approves of me.  I would prefer it if my children were pleased with me at least some of the time.  There are even some friends that I admire so much as to care what they think.

But strangers? People who are casual acquaintances? 
 No.  I don't think I need to spend any more time wondering if they approve of the outfit 
Mandy wore to school today.  (she picked it out herself- just to be clear)

This month I watched moms post pictures of their handmade, Pinterest-inspired Valentines.  They were truly lovely.  What bothered me were the comments from moms who said things like, "Wow- my poor kids have the store bought paper ones".  Why are they apologizing for this?

Listen, if you enjoy crafting and you want to make the Valentines go ahead.  But if you're about to crack open the craft box because you feel that you need to impress the other moms, forget about it.  

So here it is- Challenge #5

Spend time pondering this question...

Who Really Cares?

Name the people in your life who really care about your well-being.  The people who want you to be happy.  The people who are backing you up & hoping for your success.

(I sincerely hope you put your own name on this list)

Then behave in a way that makes those people happy.  Forget the rest.

That other quote I mentioned?  Here you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment