Monday, February 4, 2013

Challenge #1- Remember When?

It's time to start our journey together.

The first challenge will be mostly painless.

Think back through your life and identify a fear 
(or two or three) that you've already conquered.

Now, before you tell me that you can't think of anything- take your time.  
Let the idea float around in your brain for a little while.

Maybe you were once terrified to go to a job interview only to get there and land the job.

Maybe you were scared of the dark as a kid and now you can't sleep without the blinds closed in your pitch-dark room.

Maybe you were scared of heights but couldn't say no to your kids when they asked you to go on the Sky Ride at the amusement park.

Big or small- if you have conquered any fear in the past, you can do it again.



There was a time when I was afraid to be seen without makeup.

I know what you're thinking, that's not really a fear.  But for me, it was.  I always had to have all of my makeup applied before leaving the house.  I couldn't stand the idea that I might run into someone I knew and have them see the flaws on my face or the dark circles under my eyes.

It was a huge source of stress to me.  I had to wake up early enough to get everything right- even if I was just running Katie over to preschool.

But something changed when I started running.  Makeup & running really don't go together very well.  You sweat a lot and your makeup runs into your eyes which is both painful and scary-looking.

So when I went to races I wouldn't wear makeup.

I distinctly remember the picture that changed my attitude.
L-R Me, my mom Gloria, & my daughters Katie & Mandy

There's not a bit of makeup in this picture.  And to be honest, my eyes are squinty and my nose is a little scrunched.  Yet, I love this picture.  We all look happy.  We all look healthy.  
How could that be anything but beautiful?

So I started posting pictures on my blog without makeup pretty regularly.  And once you post your make-up free face on the internet and on Facebook, going to the grocery store without it just doesn't seem like such a big deal.

No makeup in this one AND I didn't bother to do my hair. I love hats.

Katie took this picture at a race.  
No makeup- feel free to pack something in those bags under my eyes.

See, I can make a little fun of the picture and still show them to you.  
Do I still prefer to be seen looking my best?  Sure!  
But, my makeup bag is no longer a major source of stress in my life.

So think about it...
What fear have you conquered?

Tell us about it in the No Fear February facebook group!







No comments:

Post a Comment