Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Being Enough

Can you believe we are almost at the end of our journey already?

Before we finish, I want to talk about the fear of enough.

That inner critic probably whispers this type of fear more often than any other.  In fact, you may experience this particular fear so often that you don't notice it anymore.  You may fully accept the fear of enough and stop trying to overcome.

I want you to kick this fear to the curb.

The fear of enough sounds like this...

"Am I a good enough mother?"

"Am I skinny (or pretty, or tall, etc.) enough?"

"Am I a good enough wife?"

"Am I smart enough?"

Get the picture?

Here's the good news... you are enough.

But, you are not everything.  You were never asked to be everything.

Last year, Mandy was sick for a month.  Bronchitis, allergies- they would not let up on this kid.  She was home from school more than she attended.  She was tired, I was tired and we were both fed up.  I felt certain that if I were a good enough mother, I would find the appropriate help for her.

But no one person turned out to be enough. 

 We needed our doctor and her prescriptions, our chiropractor and some adjustments, a Dad & a Grandma to give mom time to see to other things, friends to call and distract her and a big sister to play and choose movies. 

And yes, Mandy needed me to be her mother.

She didn't need me to be her doctor, her chiropractor, her Dad, her Grandma, her friend or her sister.

I only needed to be the Mother.  Then I needed to step out of the way and let everyone else play their part.  I was enough of a mother.  I didn't have to be everything else.

You can be ENOUGH.  You don't have to be EVERYTHING.




No comments:

Post a Comment